Thursday, April 29, 2010

Totally Unprepared!!

Oh man - what a day! I went in for a routine OBGYN appt and my whole world changed. Okay - so that's a little dramatic! Basically when my doctor measured my belly, it was smaller than last week, which was smaller than 2 weeks prior to that. The baby has dropped, so that explained what she saw last week, but then with the number going down again this week, she wanted to run additional checks. After an ultrasound, my doctor came to the conclusion that my baby had stopped growing about 4 weeks back and the best thing would be for me to have her now.
NOW?? I am not ready! And why would she want me to have her now if she's small? Okay - I'll try to explain what she told me! I am at 36 weeks exactly today. Everything looks perfectly healthy with me and the baby right now, so there is no rush in that sense, but because it looks like she hasn't grown any, there's no benefit to her staying inside me. At 36 weeks, 75% of all baby lungs are fully developed. At 37 weeks, 95% are. So the only question now is are the lungs developed.
Tomorrow morning the hospital is going to call me with an appointment time and tomorrow afternoon I will go there and have a test done to see if her lungs are indeed fully developed. If they are, they will induce me tomorrow. If they are not, I will be monitored off and on until next Wednesday, and then my doctor will induce me then. Bottom line - we're gonna have a baby in a week! CRAZINESS!!
To add to all of this, my mom is at the beach (thinking she had a good 4 weeks to go!) and my Dad is in Memphis (he arranged his schedule so he'd be home starting mid-May so he'd be home when the baby was born!) So much for planning!!! At least Dion is not at some crazy Darlington race (sorry Kenny!) He has a ticket to go to that next weekend ... uh-huh ... good one! :)
For now, I ask that you say a prayer for us! The next 24 hours will be crazy, and then potentially the next week. Once I know my appt time, I'll let you all know. Once the test is complete, it takes 3-4 hours for the results to come back, so we still won't know right away whether they will induce or not.
It sounds like all is okay, just a little rushed! I still need to pack of course, and wrap up 100 things ... goodness! But overall, I am having positive thoughts - AND I am completely excited about meeting this little no-name girl ... (did I say I had 100 things to do ... make that 101 ... still need to name this baby! And now buy a premie outfit ... 102 ... make it stop!!)
Poor little Dillon ... he has NO IDEA how his world is about to change!!! Say a prayer for him too! :)
Here we go ... ... ...

2 comments:

Chrystal said...

WOW! How exciting and scary at the same time. I'll definitey be praying for you today!!! :)

Laurie said...

Exciting, but wow!! I would be feeling a little overwhelmed too! Keep us updated on here...and let me know if you need any extra help with anything. Seriously.